FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Left Menu how ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
mini View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote mini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Left Menu how ?
    Posted: 04 Nov 2007 at 5:33pm
Hi Scotty ! Just a stupid question but i am very new..
How to make the menu in the left fram and the forum in the right like yours

Can you explane it or share your codes ? Thank very much Scotty

Matt View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2007 at 2:03pm
I did a tutorial on how to get Links on Left-Hand Side.

hopefully this will help.
MrTWS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote MrTWS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2008 at 11:06am
Hiya scotty

I tried following the "basic" tutorial on links on left hand side, but seem to have lost the plot. I think I will stick to fundamentals eh??? Thumbs%20Up
Matt View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2008 at 1:38pm
If you could tell me where you had problems so that I am able to improve the tutorial, please let me know.
MrTWS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote MrTWS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2008 at 1:15pm
Right at the beginning I think. I love what you have done with your page layout, inasmuch as you can show direct links to other pages within your site. I assume from your bits I just need to modify header and footer asp files, but I'm just not sure how to do it right

If I PM you my header/footer files, can you see what I mean? What I really would prefer is for my images to remain across the top, as below:

But then have my additional links down the left just as you do
Am I missing something?
Matt View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2008 at 5:05pm
if you want a standard look like i have done then, as i did, you can simply create your own header and footer files outside the forum eg 'yousite.com/includes/header.asp'

Then inside the header file have:

<table width="100%">
<tr>
   <td colspan="2">Site Header Here</td>
</tr><tr>
   <td width="200">Site Links here</td>
   <td>

and the following in your footer

</td>
</tr><tr>
  <td colspan="2">Footer contents here eg Copyright</td>
</tr>
</table>

You then include these files into the forums header / footer files like so:

<!--#include file="../../includes/header.asp"-->

(this assumes you used the location i said earlier)

Though as with the tutorial you will need to customise it a little.

Alternatively you could simply include the forums look into your site as i have done with my other forum Lyrical Assault (this is about rap music - so contains strong language)

You would need to include the common.asp file, includes/header.asp, includes/status_navigation.asp (i forget the actual name) and finally the includes/footer.asp file.

you will also need a bit of HTML between the common.asp and header.asp file.

If you choose this option let me know and i'll post the complete code needed to integate the forum look

Edited by Scotty32 - 29 Jul 2008 at 5:09pm
MrTWS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote MrTWS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2008 at 3:26pm
Scotty - I am completely thick mate cos try as I might tonight, this is the best I got -

See abismal effort by TWS Dead
I'm sure that you being a smart person think why cannot I not get it, but maybe I'm just tired mate. PS - I just tried so don't worry about Thanks for the info though

MrTWS
Matt View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2008 at 5:10am
the problem is here:

<li><a rel="nofollow" href="/about/advertise.asp">Advertising</a></li></ul></td></tr>

it should be this:

<li><a rel="nofollow" href="/about/advertise.asp">Advertising</a></li></ul></td><td>

also you may want to copy and paste the links from this section of the site Wink as i assume my pages dont exist on your site

PS: I'll email you a new mod I'm working on called "Side Navigation" (very inventive name huh?) its not finished yet but it will allow you to have the links integrate with the forum look just as I did on my Lyrical Assault site.

Edited by Scotty32 - 02 Aug 2008 at 5:12am
MrTWS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote MrTWS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2008 at 9:07am
Originally posted by Scotty32 Scotty32 wrote:

PS: I'll email you a new mod I'm working on called "Side Navigation" (very inventive name huh?) its not finished yet but it will allow you to have the links integrate with the forum look just as I did on my Lyrical Assault site.

Scotty I will be very pleased if you could help me with that, and I thankyou for offering to do this - cheers Doug Wink and yes the links don't exist on my site (ie your links) I was just tinkering but got confused because my younger brother kept calling me every 5 minutes about his vista installation upgrade woes Ouch and so I'm constantly being distracted, just like Jack Nicholson in the shining LOL
MrTWS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote MrTWS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2008 at 9:16am
In the mean-time I have updated the
<li><a rel="nofollow" href="/about/advertise.asp">Advertising</a></li></ul></td><td>
bit like you said, but what I seem to get at the moment, and please bear this is only a testing forum, hence I haven't changed links, is one moment the navigation will be up, down, level with the forum or forum topics you enter. If you click on Forum Home the layout does this:

If you click on FAQ it then changes to this:

Neither thing stays in one line - is this where a "wrapper" comes in?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic